I am an animal lover with two rambunctious kittens named Gidget and Clementine, who destroy our house, but make up for it in purrs and affection. That said, I’ve wanted to make homemade dog treats for quite some time now. With Christmas upon us, I decided to take my first foray into canine cookies as a holiday present for close family friends’ super cute dog.
This recipe uses pumpkin, peanut butter, and oats, for a savory, hearty treat. I decided to use Christmas cookie cutters for a little extra fun!
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup oats (optional if your dog is on a grain free diet, sub an extra 1/4 cup grain free flour)
- 3 cups whole wheat flour, brown rice flour, or gluten free flour
- 3 tablespoons of all natural peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In small bowl, stir together the flour, oats, and cinnamon.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together the eggs, pumpkin and peanut butter until combined. Stir wet ingredients into dry.
- Pour onto a floured surface and roll dough out to 1/2 thick. Cut out using cookie cutter.
- The dough will be a little sticky, a dusting of flour for your hands and the rolling pin will help! Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown.
- Place on cooling racks and let cool thoroughly. They will harden as they cool.