As a kid, whenever the local ice cream truck would roll up, my absolute favorite treat was a Chipwich. Two chocolate chip cookies and creamy vanilla ice cream wrapped in mini-chocolate chips, what could possibly be better? As I get older, I find myself nostalgic for these little childhood joys. So when temperatures surpassed 90 degrees for the past two weeks in a row, I knew that it was the perfect time to re-create these lovely treats.
While the traditional Chipwich featured mini-chocolate chips, I decided to try out a few new variations. Variety is the spice of life, right? Rainbow sprinkles, chopped pecans, and non-pareils make a fun accompaniment to these delicious sandwiches, made with my Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe. Even better, they’re super easy to make!
“Chipwich” Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Chocolate chip cookies (our recipe makes 22)
- Ice cream of your choice
- Toppings of your choice (mini chocolate chips, rainbow sprinkles, non-pareils, chopped nuts, etc.)
- Freeze the chocolate chip cookies for an hour to make them easier to handle.
- Leave ice cream out for 20 minutes to soften.
- Pour each topping into a shallow dish.
- Once cookies are frozen and firm to the touch, use an ice cream scoop or 1/4 measuring cup to scoop the ice cream and place it on the bottom of one cookie. Place the second cookie on top and press down gently until the ice cream spreads to the edge of the cookie.
- Roll the exposed ice cream in the topping of your choice until fully covered.
- Freeze the finished chipwiches for 2 hours to allow everything to set.
- Wrap each chipwich in wax paper or saran wrap. Freeze until you’re ready to enjoy.