Even though the Metal Fist Cookies were my special birthday gift for my spunky 3-year old friend, I couldn’t let the occasion pass without whipping up a little birthday cake, too. After all, what’s a birthday without the singing and candles?? Her mom clued me in that her favorite color is blue, but sometimes pink, but she usually goes back to blue 🙂 So I set out to make a mostly blue, but sort of pink, kid-friendly cake!
I baked three Funfetti-inspired vanilla cake layers, let them cool to room temperature, and then chilled them in the fridge so they could firm up a bit. Next, I mixed up a batch of frosting:
Whipped Buttercream Frosting
- 4 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 8 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Using an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, whip the softened butter for approximately 5-6 minutes on medium speed until it reaches a creamy, fluffy consistency.
- Gradually add the confectioners’ sugar, milk, vanilla extract, and salt, blending as you go. Once combined, mix on medium speed for 6 minutes until frosting is once again light, creamy, and fluffy.