Every weeknight, my fiance (yes, I got engaged!!!!!) is faced with a dilemma when he gets home from work–what to eat? Working in the film industry, his hours are sporadic and he often gets home late and doesn’t want to take the time to make anything too heavy. I’m constantly on the hunt for light, quick meals that I can have ready for him when he comes in the door. Last week, inspiration struck…in the form of quiche!
I whipped this up using ingredients we had around the house (which, for the record, is one of my very favorite things about quiche!) I used frozen spinach, onion, feta cheese and tomato for a light, delicious Mediterranean twist.
Spinach, Tomato & Feta Quiche
- 1 9-inch pie crust
- ⅓ cup frozen spinach, thawed, rinsed and squeezed dry (1/3 C after squeezing dry)
- 3 tablespoons onion, chopped
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup half and half
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon seasoned salt
- ¾ of a tomato, thin sliced, slices halved
- Place the pie crust in a 9″ round cake pan. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Bake the pie crust at 350 for 15 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the beaten eggs, cheeses, milk, half and half, bacon, spinach, onion, pepper and seasoned salt.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pie crust and even out if needed. Top with the sliced tomatoes.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for at least 15 minutes before serving.